Nuff-Nang'er

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Shocking Revelation : Will I rise to the challenge ?

Today, exactly a week since I made that call to make the career move. It was a big decision for me moving out from Fortune 500 integrated oil and gas company, to the largest LNG producer in the world and now, with a small listed independent oil and gas company whose main asset is in one of the CIS country- Turkmenistan.

On my first day, I had my first meeting with my boss the Finance Director in a coffee shop [ a nice welcoming gesture from him], the Finance Director.

I did ask him few questions, but this particular one question, a question that really awaken me from my slumber sleep and dream.

" How long this position has been vacant ? "
" Since 2007 ! " replied the Finance Director.
" That long ? "
"Yes. Of course there were stories behind why it was vacant for close to 4 years " .
He explained to me the stories behind in great length. He further explained to me, some critics told him that the company has been doing great for the past 4 years and why do the company need me now to be on-board? He told me, he has different view and strategy on his decision to hire me.

I was still dreaming that time and it did not really sink in my thoughts and rational mind that it came with great expectations and big responsibilities, yet !

I shared the story with a friend of mine, and I proudly told myself- " They have been waiting for me to come for 4 years ! No wonder people told me that they have been waiting for me for too long. That too long was not 2 months [ notice period] but 4 years " I told myself. I was in the cloud 9, so to speak. 

I did not read between the line. Only today, while working on the assignment that my boss is giving me did I realize, that my honeymoon is over. Come next week, I shall start working hard to meet the expectations. Im here to bring and add value, I am here to bring changes, I am here to bring excellence, I am here to bring the change in mindset and I am here not for a mere job and career, but huge responsibility. Otherwise, I am irrelevant. Otherwise, I am not needed here at all . I have only 2 years to make that impact.

What are next ?

Next year, I would like to nominate my company to be part of Nafma - an award to symbolise excellence in the Management Accounting. The 2nd year, I would want my company to be in the top 3. The 3rd year, I would like to see my company as the WINNER of that prestigious of Nafma Award.

Why focus on the award ? Simple, there are lots of work and changes to do and winning the award is just a beginning of a long journey. 


DISCLAIMER: Notice :Opinions, stories , thoughts expressed are blogger's own and do not necessarily represent the views of the institution or the organizations by which the blogger is employed or any specific person who so ever, either dead or alive. Hi! I am a green e-mail! Unlike my brothers and sisters, my presence on the Internet does not harm our environment. Please go to greenscroll.org and help make the Internet green like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment